Some people just have the knack for growing things, and others cannot seem to keep any houseplants alive. Take heart because there are many houseplants that are easy to grow for anyone.
Pretty and Practical
1. Some plants are natural air fresheners like geraniums. The leaves of these flowering plants contain scented oil which can be released by pinching a leaf. There are many scents to choose from including lemon, lime, rose, and even chocolate. Place these hardy flowers in a windowsill or on a table and add beauty and fragrance to your home.
2. Aloe Vera has long been used for its medicinal qualities dating back to the ancient Egyptians. Aloe Vera contains a natural antiseptic and is used to treat anything from burns to athlete’s foot. Aloe is easy to take care of and thrives indoors in a sunny spot on window ledges and dish gardens.
3. The peace lily has beautiful dark green foliage and produces white flowers shaped like a spoon. Some bloom only in the summer while others bloom throughout the year. Even in its un-flowering state, it is very attractive.
4. Anthurium, also called the flamingo flower, produces a striking red flower that lasts up to eight weeks. They can be found in other colors as well such as pink, white, and lavender, and are ideal for use as cut flowers due to their long-lasting blooms. Their leaves are toxic so keep away from pets.
5. A Christmas cactus is gorgeous in bloom and is an easy-to-care-for flowering houseplant. Christmas cactuses are so named due to the fact that they bloom in December. Blooms can be red, pink, white, and light purple. They can be cut back after flowering is over for the year to encourage branching out to create a fullness which allows more flowers in the blooming season.
6. The Chinese evergreen produces a thick cluster of beautiful dark green with touches of silver, gray, or light green. This is an ideal plant for low-light areas as they do not need much sun. Use caution when choosing a location in your home because this plant is toxic to pets and children.
7. Dieffenbachias are another plant with a variegated leaf like the Chinese evergreen. These plants add a tropical feel and can grow to be quite large if given the room. You can encourage smaller plants with a smaller pot, or re-pot in a larger container to allow more growth. Keep plant out of reach of children and pets.
8. The philodendron is one of the easiest houseplants to care for. The philodendron is another plant that can grow prolifically in a low light setting. The leaves, poisonous to people and pets, are very sturdy and are good for nearly every location in the home.
9. The spider plant is quite popular as a hanging plant and a ground cover for outdoor use. Although spider plants can be a solid color green, most are light green with a centered white stripe. Its most distinctive feature is the “babies” that grow from long stems and can be rooted in a new pot to propagate new plants. Place spider plants in medium to bright locations.
10. Pothos plants make excellent indoor or outdoor plants. There are many variations of leaf color from solid green to a 50/50 mix of green and white. These plants grow as vines and are excellent as hanging baskets. Pothos plants are extremely hardy and thrive in all types of light locations and can spring back overnight from under watering.
Houseplants bring the outdoors in and these beauties are easy to care for even if your thumb is more brown than green.